Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Women’s Centre of York Region. Our team of volunteers is essential to the realization of our mission. it is with your generous assistance that we are able to offer a range of programs and services to women in need.
Women’s Centre of York Region is an equal opportunity volunteer placement provider. Volunteer applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability. Volunteer placement will only be based on qualifications and volunteer position requirements.
Steps to Becoming a Volunteer:
- Complete the online Volunteer Application Form below.
- Potential volunteers will be contacted to schedule an interview. Interviews will take approximately one hour.
- Potential volunteers are asked to bring two references with them to the interview, at least one to be of a professional/business nature.
- If applicable, a Vulnerable Screening Application form will be given to you at the time of the interview, and must be submitted to the York Regional Police.
- When you have received your completed Screening Form from the York Regional Police please bring the original copy to the Centre so that it may added to your Volunteer file.
- Once accepted as a Women’s Centre volunteer you will be called to come in for an orientation session at the Centre. You may also be invited to participate in further volunteer training that the Centre will offer from time to time.
Get Started Today!
Complete the Application Form below. Please complete all sections as thoroughly as possible as this information will be used to determine eligibility.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- BINGO! We require several committed volunteers to assist us throughout 2017 on select Thursday and Saturday evenings in Newmarket. Shifts are 3 hours long and a one-time training session is required.
- 40th Anniversary Committee: In 2017 Women’s Centre of York Region will celebrate 40 years of service to women across York Region! We are looking for eager community volunteers from across York Region, interested in helping us generate awareness and fundraising to celebrate this milestone and ensure the contiued sustainability of our work.
- Childminding: If you enjoy being around children and have a few hours to spare now and again, you may be just the person we’re looking for! We are in need of someone with childminding experience to watch a small number of children while their moms are in groups or in counselling at the Centre. Typically there will be only one or two children but group size may be slightly larger depending on the programs taking place at that time. Children’s ages can be anywhere from 3 months to age 8 over the summer. Working with our ECE, the ideal volunteer would be 14+ and has completed a Babysitting Course and/or First Aid program. This position is ideal for a high school student looking for volunteer hours. Help needed Tuesday’s, Wednesday’s and Thursday’s from 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Reception: We’re looking for volunteers available to help out at reception, afternoon’s from 12:00 p.m. -4:30 p.m. If you have one or more days to offer we’d love to have you join us as a volunteer assisting with a variety of administrative tasks including answering phones, filing and data input.
- Wellness Workshops Presenter: The Women’s Wellness Workshop series explores topics that impact women’s emotional well being. Each month, a new topic is offered in a two-session format with at least a week between sessions to allow participants time to practice what they have learned. If you have experience facilitating workshops and are interested in volunteering your time and expertise to bring a workshop to the clients at our Centre, we would like to hear from you!